Friday, June 26, 2009

'It can give a nip'


The wonderful (and so say I) BBC current affairs programme 'The One Show' has been a treat this week.
Dr George McGavin has been on hand with his UK spring insect VTs.
He's also been there for the viewers too, sending in their snaps of critters nationwide, wanting analysis. I'd like to say I was an expert of his esteem, but I could personally only identify two of the 'critter pics' sent in by the public. 
The wasp beetle and the much-under-rated and hidden bitey bugger, the woodlouse spider. [RIGHT: Photo courtesy of wildaboutbritain.co.uk].
 
Dr McGavin didn't leave out the fact that the desdera crocata genus can give a 'nip'. Fangs for that George!
Although, he did examine booklice in a woman's kitchen cupboard. I was always lead to believe that booklice are pseudoscorpians [little scorpion-like arachnids with pincers, but no stinger] - saw enough of them when I recently tidied out my own cupboard. [Picture of booklouse/pseudoscorpian included (courtesy augsburg.edu].


Dr George McGavin, by the way, has a website, with fascinating videos. He lectures at Oxford Uni and is also Professor of entymology at the University of Derby.
Read all about him and watch videos here   George McGavin