Friday, April 19, 2013

BI-GOD (punctata)!

It's always great to get correspondence on Arachnipedia.
It's great to get a backstory too, but it gets web-spinningly better when there's a cool photo too to accompany it. 

This week I received a particularly pleasing email from a guy called Paul. 
Of course, I'm flattered and chuffed that Arachnipedia came up tops in a Google search for a spider. 
But I'm genuinely more impressed by the fact that people are prepared to evaluate a situation when an unrecognised eight-legged beast appears on the scene, rather than immediately employing that reliable slug of rubber which lies between sole and concrete. A spider squished is a spider missed in my book!

Therididae - comb footed spiders.............


I'm hoping the contributor is fine with being quoted, as verbatim in his email.
It's easier explained with the email!

Hi Gavin,
Thanks to your website I put our minds at ease by identifying this spider we found in our bathroom. It says they like animal dwellings but we only have the one dog but I guess it's kinda cold out there.

I was going to take it to Quarantine at Heathrow as they identified the Australian house spider that hitched a ride and found its way here but after typing in a “spider with dimples” up came your website straight away and now the missus can sleep tonight.
I attached a photo of the beaut if you’d like to use it. It’s a bit on the large side as I didn’t want to go too low with the quality.

Kind Regards

Cass

And, yes, I'm definitely using the photo lol. Thanks for the image and email.